Monday, June 15, 2009

Ghostgirl

Author: Tonya Hurley

Publisher: Little Brown and Company

Favorite Character: Scarlet-She was described more at length and had a really human personality plus she likes music like me!

Summary: Charlotte Usher feels practically invisible at school, and then one day she really is. Even worse; she's dead. And all because of a guy and a gummy bear.

In this satirical yet heartfelt novel, Tonya Hurley explores the invisibility we all feel at times and the lengths we'll go to be seen.

Review: This story wasn't really sad. It was more ironic and some of it was way phsychotic, but real at the same time. Charlotte's death makes her feel even more invisible when craves the attention of her classmates. The way she dies just seems too cruel to her, so she won't let go.

Her resolve to cling on to life when she's already gone isn't the smartest choice. Her selfishness causes problems for people who actually care for her. These being her Dead classmates. Even though I didn't like Charlotte all that much, her beyond-help-self is pretty well-developed. She's not an unknown which I think is important in a story especially if written in third person. I could connect to her and I could also connect to Goth-Princess Scarlet Kensington. Yeah, she's my favorite character! The story kept pretty much to highschool drama level and used funny as in uh...okay language to keep the flow up. I liked this one! And don't even get me started on the cover. I'm totally AmAZeD by it!

I also forgot to mention that at the beginning of each chapter there are a little life lesson blurbs. My favorite part was those since they really got me thinking. The sequel is coming out soon!

Rating: 4/5

other books in the series:
2. Ghostgirl: Homecoming (comes out June 1 !!)

1 comment:

What did you think? :D