Friday, October 28, 2011

Re-Read: Shadow Hills

Hey y'all! Lately I've been in nostalgic moods while dusting off my shelves and re-arranging my books. I admire their pretty covers and sigh in contentment about having had the opportunity to review and share them with you.

Most, if not all, the books displayed,I have liked. But then I go back and re-read the summary. Umm...wait what? I don't remember this character. Actually, I don't think I even really liked this book looking back on it now. What was this one even about? And why would I read a book with such a boring synopsis?

This amnesiac feeling makes me sad! Books are my essence! So I've decided to re-read a few of them. Make mini-reviews comparing them to my initial review and see whether maybe my tastes have changed or if I am just in love with those books now as I remember being then. This is a big step since I used to never re-read books. I hope it gives me a new perspective, and even if it doesn't, my books will feel loved :)

Re-Read No 1

Title: Shadow Hills

Author: Anastasia Hopcus

GoodReads Summary: After her sister Athena's tragic death, it's obvious that grief-stricken Persephone "Phe" Archer no longer belongs in Los Angeles. Hoping to make sense of her sister's sudden demise and the cryptic dreams following it, Phe abandons her bubbly LA life to attend an uptight East Coast preparatory school in Shadow Hills, MA — a school which her sister mysteriously mentioned in her last diary entry before she died.

Once there, Phe quickly realizes that something is deeply amiss in her new town. Not only does Shadow Hills' history boast an unexplained epidemic that decimated hundreds of its citizens in the 1700s, but its modern townies also seem eerily psychic, with the bizarre ability to bend metal. Even Zach — the gorgeous stranger Phe meets and immediately begins to lust after — seems as if he is hiding something serious. Phe is determined to get to the bottom of it. The longer she stays there, the more she suspects that her sister's untimely death and her own destiny are intricately linked to those who reside in Shadow Hills

Mini-Review: (before reading my original review) Shadow Hills is one of the books that I remember loving crazily. Apart from that, the story was kind of a blur, but now that I've read it again, my memory has been triggered.

I like Zach. He sounds sweet. I don't like Trent. What a slimy jerk! Um Phe is okay. Her character is kind of broken at times. In the sense that there are some inconsistencies. Overall, Zach+Phe are pretty cool.

The fights, and descriptions of the powers are awesome and very vivid. Easy to imagine.

The actual story line seems a little weak and predictable, but the vividness of the action really makes this book worth it.


Re-reading my review, I feel the same pretty much about everything. The only thing is what ever happened to Adriana and Brody? Or Graham and Toy? I was really interested in Graham+Toy this time around.

And I still feel bad for the villain and the family.

Do I agree with my first rating of 4? Yep. It isn't mind-blowing, but the scientific mutation versus mythology angle gives it high points for uniqueness. :)

Song It Kinda Sorta Reminds Me Of:


Artist: Blood Red Shoes

Title: Its Getting Boring by the Sea

Language: English

2 comments:

  1. Great reread review! :) I should do that too more often. I mean I saw one of my older reviews of Hush Hush and I was 'why did I gave it three heart"s?, it deserves two hearts." lol.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lol nice. I kind of feel like that sometimes too that I review books too soon after finishing them. The time isn't there for me to actually digest whether I will remember the book a week after I read it. In that moment I just feel like a lost something because I miss the story or the characters.

    ReplyDelete

What did you think? :D