Thursday, November 17, 2011

The Forest of Hands and Teeth

Author: Carrie Ryan

Source: Library

Summary: (goodreads) In Mary's world there are simple truths. The Sisterhood always knows best. The Guardians will protect and serve. The Unconsecrated will never relent. And you must always mind the fence that surrounds the village; the fence that protects the village from the Forest of Hands and Teeth. But, slowly, Mary’s truths are failing her. She’s learning things she never wanted to know about the Sisterhood and its secrets, and the Guardians and their power, and about the Unconsecrated and their relentlessness. When the fence is breached and her world is thrown into chaos, she must choose between her village and her future—between the one she loves and the one who loves her. And she must face the truth about the Forest of Hands and Teeth. Could there be life outside a world surrounded in so much death?

Review: I don't know for sure what I was expecting from this book, but from what other bloggers had said about it, I was thinking it was going to be super duper mind-blowing.

It is a good book, but it left me feeling desolate and helpless. The story drained me while the bleakness of Mary's situation settled into my mind. The way she is written to pull through is incredible. In the face of the obstacles Mary overcame, I would have just wanted to end it all.

As strong as her character is, I felt her to be lacking as well. She was stubborn and very selfish. Even if she felt she knew the correct path, Mary could have been more careful, more tactful about presenting her views to others, but her grief overshadowed the feelings of those around her. This incessant need for more also made it a little difficult to read Mary's mind. I couldn't really connect to any of the characters of this book. I'm not completely sure if this is due to the emotions they were experiencing were it would make sense they would be withdrawn or if it was just that the characters lacked more depth.

Thankfully there is a sequel where I can ponder these questions and wallow in despair once again. The tiny glimmer of hope that keeps me looking forward to the next book is not nearly enough to let me think that Mary's choices were worth it. But because this book made me feel, I know the writing must be good and the images are very vivid. This world full of zombies is sketched to perfection allowing me, as the reader, to see it clearly. And it is scary. Very scary.

Rating: 1 2 3 4 5

No comments:

Post a Comment

What did you think? :D