Thursday, January 5, 2012

Viola in Reel Life

Author: Adriana Trigiani

Source: Library

Summary: (goodreads) When fourteen-year-old Viola is sent from her beloved Brooklyn to boarding school in Indiana for ninth grade, she overcomes her initial reservations as she makes friends with her roommates, goes on a real date, and uses the unsettling ghost she keeps seeing as the subject of a short film her first.

Review: I forgot how immature 14 year olds can be, but taking her age into account, Viola was very aware of her flaws. I was impressed with her ability to take constructive criticism positively and also follow sound advice. Her initial attitude wasn't very endearing, but her growth as an integral part of a society bigger than her made me root for her.

All of the characters are very strong in this novel. Her roommates at boarding school are very defined as was Jared. The boy she liked. Her grandmother was a quirky person. And Viola herself was snark-y, vulnerable and sheepish when she got reprimanded, but she was even tempered.

The story kind of had something pulling it together, but overall I felt that Viola's movie-making was put on the back burner while the book concentrated more on her experiences at boarding school and opening up to others. It was a cute book with a cute heroine. What I love most...is those awesome yellow shoes. I WANT! :D Hehe. Give it a try if you like theatre or movie-making in your books. It's a nice read!

Rating: 1 2 3 4 5

2 comments:

  1. Yes, those yellow shoes are adorable & I want them too. :)

    I really enjoyed this book too & thought that the characters were great. Glad you liked it too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I seriously want to find them...and buy them. But I'd rather spend what little money I have on books though lol.

    ReplyDelete

What did you think? :D