Friday, April 10, 2009

Sucks To Be Me

Author: Kimberly Pauley

Publisher: MIRRORSTONE

Favorite Character: Nathan- He was nice for a guy of the "in group". Nathan was easy-going and comfortable to read about.

Summary: (inside flap)

Why it sucks to be ME...

1. My parents are freaks. Sure, every teenager says that. But I know for a fact mine are bloodsucking vampire freaks.

2. As if high school wasn't bad enough, now I have to go to vampire classes with a bunch of weirdos who actually want to drink blood.

3. Then there's my complete inability to talk in complete sentences around cute boys. (i.e Nathan. He probably thinks I've got a speech impediment or something.)

4. And I can't tell my best friend Serena about any of this.

5. But the absolute worst thing is that the whole world is abut to find out what happened when my parents forced me to decide whether I want to be a vampire! Please don't read this book. It's just embarassing.

Review: Okay. So we have Mina Hamilton who isn't a vampire even though her parents are. Then there is (it's not a spoiler right?) a little love triangle, or square, brewing while Mina is making the decision of "turning" or not as she worries about Prom. The introduction wasn't that great to me. I felt that Mina's voice was weak and that she was arguing with herself through a lot of it over small things. The developing of Mina and the other characters was actually pretty awesome. I could totally feel that Lorelei was just an aquaintance while George was a close friend. The relationship between Serena and Mina was a little off to me, but it still seemed like a strong friendship.

The way that the story unfolded was well-paced, but some things were a little random towards the end. It left me with a cliffhanger since her original problem with turning was never solved. I would have liked to know what happened to Serena or what exactly motivated Mina to do what she did. Her relationship with her parents was too shallow for me to get a good hold on her childhood or the reasons behind her actions. In the end, I was still glad I read this book because I didn't think that another vampire story could be original, but this book wasn't all about vampirism being evil, but instead the perks of life in general. It was original in other words.

Rating: 3/5

You Might Also Like:
1. Vampire Academy by Richelle Mead (my review)
2. Airhead by Meg Cabot ( more highschoolish and vamp free)

No comments:

Post a Comment

What did you think? :D