Thursday, February 4, 2010

Shiver

Author: Maggie Stiefvater




Summary: Boy is wolf. Girl got bit by his buddies, but doesn't turn into a wolf although Boy keeps waiting for her during the winters. In the summer he becomes a boy and later Girl realizes he is her winter wolf. His eyes give him away. Things begin there. :)


Review: I loved this book. I wasn't so sure what my reaction to it was going to be since I had heard some pretty negative reviews on how the female character was too weak and wimpy like Bella in Twilight.


I have to disagree. Every teenager who falls in love or thinks their in love is going to act a little bit like they ARE in love. When you lose someone who is close to you, it is perfectly normal to be distraught. You don't have to go crazy, but if you act like it doesn't affect you then that is why worse and very unrealistic. I thought the author did an amazing job portraying Grace.


The boy, Sam, was also well developed. Even though he's the guy, he isn't stereotypical. He actually had feelings! He was sensitive and I could really feel his emotions. He wasn't just the guy for Grace to lean on and have fight for her, but instead he was an active part in their relationship.


The only little (really little) problem I had with the book was that Sam and Grace blended together in some parts. Like I would be reading Sam's pov and accidentally think that it was Grace. That happened only a few times and when I finished, I felt pretty sure that each character was unique.


Olivia was an especially interesting minor character because of her photography. Isabel (haha that's my name) also had a strong personality and vibe. Jack (I love that name) was the angry one, but he also revealed that he was just a human in some parts. I liked the book. Reccomendations to read it go out to people who like paranormal, but not overthetop stuff. The book was pretty believable in presenting the whole shift, so it didn't feel ridiculous. :)

Rating: 1 2 3 4.5 5

I think I'm becoming extremely stingy with the fives. I can't remember the last book that got one even though I've loved most of them.
(: Isa :)

4 comments:

  1. Great review. I did not hear that about the heroine, but I am glad to know she is still interesting. This one is on my shelf, I am waiting for the sequel so I can read them together.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Grace is definitely NOT a Bella! I'm glad you enjoyed this! I really liked it too! Thanks for reviewing :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah. I didn't think she was either, but there were a couple of places where I saw her compared to Bella. I really liked it and I'm glad your going to read it too Elie! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm glad to hear that Grace is nothing like Bella. She got on my nerves in the Twilight series. But anyway..Great review, it makes me to get out and get myself a copy.

    ReplyDelete

What did you think? :D