Thursday, December 1, 2011

Wither

Author: Lauren DeStefano

Source: Library

Summary: (goodreads) Obviously, something went terribly wrong. Genetic mutations have festered, reducing human longevity to twenty-five, even less for most women. To prevent extinction, young girls are kidnapped, mated in polygamous marriages with men eager to procreate. Sixteen-year-old Rhine Ellery, a recent victim of this breeding farm mentality, has vowed to break loose from its fetters; but finding allies and a safe way out is a challenge she can only hope she will survive.

Review: I am a little conflicted on this book, so forgive me if I contradict myself a bit throughout.

The writing is amazing! I can see, feel, smell every detail the author writes and the main character experiences. There were some very dreamy scenes and I felt whatever Rhine is going through. Her grief is very palpable as is her ambivalence about where she is and what she wants.

Although the writing is mesmerizing and sensory, there were some things that I wasn't completely convinced of. Like the virus. It is a little out there to expect me as a reader to believe that a disease can kill everyone when they reach a certain age. Everyone's body is different, so I can't wrap my head that it would occur like that.

Another point is that only North America supposedly exists. The other countries blew themselves up to smithereens. It is really hard to imagine that happening and the book didn't convince me of it as well as I think it could and should have.

For technicalities, this book isn't going to float your boat if you are picky about the realistic-ness of the settings. If you pay any attention to the lack of world-building, then it is going to impede how you enjoy the book.

If none of the above bothers you, and all you care about is the characters and story line, then you will love this book. The vividness of the posh lifestyles, Rhine's friends, the need to get away...this author's writing is beautifully done to reach you.

Rating: I don't even want to rate it, so read the review before making up your mind based on the numbers!

Technicalities: 2
Story: 4.5

No comments:

Post a Comment

What did you think? :D