Thursday, September 29, 2011

STARCROSSED

Before I begin my review, I want to let you guys know that I am in my first term of community college. High school doesn't seem to have prepared me well enough since I am only taking one writing class and I already feel overwhelmed with homework. My biggest complaint so far though is the COST of textbooks! It is scary I say. Anyway, please bear with me even though my reviews might get more sporadic than they already are. Thank you in advance and have an awesome, book-tastic day fellow readers!


Author: Josephine Angelini

Summary: (goodreads) How do you defy destiny?

Helen Hamilton has spent her entire sixteen years trying to hide how different she is—no easy task on an island as small and sheltered as Nantucket. And it's getting harder. Nightmares of a desperate desert journey have Helen waking parched, only to find her sheets damaged by dirt and dust. At school she's haunted by hallucinations of three women weeping tears of blood . . . and when Helen first crosses paths with Lucas Delos, she has no way of knowing they're destined to play the leading roles in a tragedy the Fates insist on repeating throughout history.

As Helen unlocks the secrets of her ancestry, she realizes that some myths are more than just legend. But even demigod powers might not be enough to defy the forces that are both drawing her and Lucas together—and trying to tear them apart.


Review: Well...I loved it. I read it in one day, because it really was that interesting and captivating and all those other lovely words we use to describe wonderful stories.

The characters were fairly mature and I really liked them except for there were times when I felt that the connection between them was faltering.

The beginning of the book was probably my favorite part because the images were extremely vivid. Helen's desperation at waking from her nightmares was real. And her interaction with Lucas during this time frame was really emotionally charged with anger, hate and dis-control at the forefront. This outbursts of energy were well balanced with serene descriptions of the setting. Then the setting seemed to change into a more sinister atmosphere as secrets and conflicts were uncovered

Overall, the mythological aspects of this book were what drew me in. Learning things I didn't know about was great because everything was weaved into the actual story. The ending did leave me wanting to read the next installment so beware that you will be sucked it too this story.

Rating: 1 2 3 4 5

No comments:

Post a Comment

What did you think? :D