Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Top Ten Tuesday Freebie

Hello! First time participating in this feature, but I am also a list addict. Love reading these posts on other blogs and hope that I will become a regular participant. This weekly meme was created and is hosted by The Broke and the Bookish. Click on their link to find out more and see upcoming topics for the following weeks.


Since this is a freebie post, I want to share my Top Ten List of Re-Read Books. These are novels I don't think I could ever get tired of reading over and over again.

Title: The Book Thief

Author: Markus Zusak

This historical novel is an emotional read with so many well-developed characters and Death as the narrator. It is Liesel's story, but the narrative point of view is amazing. Looking forward to re-reading this again soon!

Goodreads



Title: Flipped

Author: Wendelin Van Draanen

I've read this twice...about five years ago. But I remember loving it so much. Although I think this was a case of book-cover-love-translates-into-book-love. But I will soon read it again to make sure that I love it for being awesome. I remember switching perspectives. Little Girl tries to kiss Little Boy who then runs away? And something about egg cartons.
Goodreads
Title: Speak

Author: Laurie Halse Anderson

Probably the first book I read dealing with such heavy issues. The main character is very withdrawn and ostracized by all her former friends because she called the cops. Had a good reason. But no one will listen until she...speaks. Dark and realistic. I teared up along with her whenever she tried to comfort herself or keep moving ahead. Her inner pain was palpable.
Goodreads


 Title: Ella Enchanted

Author: Gail Carson Levine

Absolutely my most favorite author of  my childhood. I'm only 19, (today is my birthday!), but I loved all of her books. Why? Fairytales! This was the first book I read written by her and I cannot get enough of it. The movie was great too. Super story. A lovely prince. Good times. Good, good times. Read four or five times and will read it at least another five.
Goodreads

Title: Chasing Redbird
Author: Sharon Creech

Read at least four times. I think it may be the writing that has me experiencing the book like the first time because it is always refreshing and heavy with the feel of a lazy summer. Maybe the details and imagery keep it new since it does not really matter that I know what is going to happen, but Zinny's emotional growth and the adorably cute Jake Boone are characters worth seeing again and again.

Goodreads



Title: Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone
Author: J.K. Rowling

As the first book in the series, this sets up the fantastical world of Harry Potter. We get the English setting. We find out what kind of kid Harry is. We start strongly disliking his aunt and uncle and the evil bully kid. I personally think it is the best in the entire series because it is how it all begins. The contrast between his two lives is never more apparent than in this novel. Think I've read it three or four times and will re-read it again soon!
Goodreads

Title: Esperanza Rising

Author: Pam Muñoz Ryan

A case in where the setting is spectacular. I loved the descriptions and colors and time period and Esperanza's story. I'm Mexican-American, so I had heard some stories about this time from my parents and grandparents. It was fun to read about. Didn't like the main character at all in the beginning, but she grew on me. Slowly. Recommend for those reluctant younger readers. I know I will re-read this one for the third time in the near future.

Goodreads




I know there isn't ten, but my brain is fried. The nostalgia at looking back for these is great. Motivates me to go to the library or something. I hope you enjoy this post and I hope I see you here again next Tuesday!

2 comments:

  1. Esperanza Rising looks super cute. It looks like a fun, cute read. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well I think the main character is fifteen or so which makes the book more about growing up. It is a really sweet book and I do like that cover!

      Delete

What did you think? :D