Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Waiting on Wednesday 13


Hello everyone! Waiting on Wednesday is a weekly meme hosted by Jill at BreakingtheSpine so you can share what books you're looking forward to.

Title: Bitter Melon

Author: Cara Chow

Release Date: December 28th, 2010

Publisher: EgmontUSA

Summary: (goodreads) Frances, a Chinese-American student at an academically competitive school in San Francisco, has always had it drilled into her to be obedient to her mother and to be a straight-A student so that she can go to Med school. But is being a doctor what she wants?It has never even occurred to Frances to question her own feelings and desires until she accidentally winds up in speech class and finds herself with a hidden talent. Does she dare to challenge the mother who has sacrificed everything for her? Set in the 1980s.

My Thoughts: I feel like there aren't as many Asian books out there, so hopefully this one will be a good one. The cover is beautiful in my opinion. I've been fascinated lately by the Chinese-American experiences and the standards or stereotypes they are expected to live up to not just by other races, but also by their own parents.

I've read a couple other books like this one, which I loved and I'm thinking that even though this is a debut novel, it will be good also.

Other Books You Might Like: (I've actually read the below titles and can recommend them)

1. Ties That Bind, Ties That Break by Lensey Namioka
2. The Joy Luck Club by Amy Tan
3. Step From Heaven by An Na

No comments:

Post a Comment

What did you think? :D